I’ve challenged myself to post 29 honey recipes in the next month – BEFORE Rosh Hashana.
Not just your Bubbe’s honey cake. As a beekeeper and avid cook I can take you and your honey places you’ve never been before- culinarily speaking.
So let’s get Buzzed.
Arrgh – are there pirate bees? Well, there are robber bees. In a bees’ short lifetime (approx. 6 weeks in summer) it will perform more than 30 different jobs. There was a time when more than 2 on one’s CV was show-stopping. But back to bees… Yes, bees do rob from each other. But there are also guard bees and scout bees as well, so the “rumbles” can be reasonably fair. It’s not uncommon for one hive to re-rob (or retrieve, I suppose) from the other multiple times.
So in the spirit of piracy and rum, here’s the RumbleBee. This made with Golani Distillery rum. We love Golani not just because it’s local and tasty, but because of the unique cool stories and illustrations on the labels. (You’ll want to collect them all- they ship world wide).
You will need:
- Spiced Pineapple honey syrup* – see below
- 45ml Golani Golden Rum
- 15ml Campari or similar bitters
- 30ml lime juice
- 30ml spiced pineapple honey syrup*
- Piece of pineapple or lime to garnish
How to make the Magic Happen:
*Spiced pineapple honey syrup – do ahead and keep refrigerated
120ml pineapple juice to 30g honey
- Combine juice and honey in a small sauce pan, med heat
- Add some allspice berries and a piece of cinnamon stick.
- Reduce 25% remove from heat, strain and cool
- Prechill a cocktail glass
- Combine all ingredients in a shaker
- Fill with ice and shake hard
- Strain into chilled glass
- Garnish with pineapple wedge
Please drink responsibly